Monday, August 29, 2011

The kind of deputy sheriff I am going to be...

This is something that I have been thinking about ever since the academy started. If you talk to most people who know me, they would hopefully describe me as being laid back, sociable, fun, devoted, and optimistic...a “glass half full” type of guy. I have told myself over and over that I am not wanting my personality to change. I have had many talks with my family and friends to hold me accountable to this goal of mine.

I understand that within this career, one might come up against adversity dealing with people, possibly with the whole system in place, or even within themselves. I think that in order to be successful doing this job, you have to have outlets to relieve stress that builds up in your life. In my case, I love to hang out with my wife and dog. We go camping, white water rafting, road trips, love watching movies, hiking, and other interactive activities that separate ourselves from our careers. It is important to us to have a life outside of our jobs and to remember we are defined by God and the plans he has for us.

Through the training that we are receiving and the courses that we are taking, I feel like JeffCo is preparing us to be effective and well trained cops. I say effective because, as cops I think that we could misrepresent the badge if we are not trained properly. Thankfully, that is not the case! Our training is preparing us to be effective speakers, role-models, enforcers of the law, shooters, and effective protectors, among other qualities we possess. I hope to embody all these qualities and more to become a successful deputy sheriff.