Monday, November 7, 2011

There has been so much going on!

OC Day...

This day was such a test mentally and physically for everyone. OC stands for Oleoresin Capsicum. The main active ingredient is the capsicum portion, it is mostly derived from the fruit of plants in the capsicum genus...mostly including chilis.

During the day, we learned about the non-lethal effects of the OC spray and the advantages and disadvantages to resorting to this method. It seemed like the disadvantages out weighed the advantages because we were on the receiving end of the spray. There are many instances that the OC spray could be useful in subduing a suspect when they have chosen to be noncompliant and threatening.

I was one of the last recruits to be sprayed (I tried to take as many pictures as possible). Since I had the opportunity to watch everyone and see the different reactions that people were having, I was able to prepare for the worst. I have to tell you...the worst I was planning for was not nearly as bad as it really was! It was a great experience and I would probably do it again if I absolutely had to.

After being sprayed in the face with OC, we all had to complete a series of tasks while feeling the effects of the spray. The first of them was to deliver strikes/blows to a standing dummy while giving verbal directions. We then moved to a corner of a building to find a suspect that we had to give verbal directions to get on the ground and eventually handcuff them. Our last encounter was a suspect with a (fake) gun, we too were given a simunition (non lethal gun) and after giving many verbal commands to the suspect, we had to make the decision to shoot the suspect after he showed the intent to point the (fake) gun at us.

These exercises were really great to go through. It was showing us that we are to continue to fight through adversity (physical or mental) and fight until the threat is stopped. I can now tell you that I now appreciate the affect that OC provides.

I hope that you enjoy these pics...try not to laugh too hard!